Coastal Physician Broadcasts Sugeries LiveJune 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Posted in Back Pain, Coastal Orthopedics, Pain Management | Leave a comment
Our own Dr. Lora Brown conducted two procedures for pain management physicians’ attending the West Virginia branch of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians Conference in Miami.
Brown walked them through two cutting edge procedures, live via satellite from our East Surgery Center in Lakewood Ranch, FL.
- Epiducer – The first patient was implanted with a neurostimulation device to manage their chronic pain created by St. Jude Medical.
- Inserted through a single small entry point.
- Before the Epiducer system, the placement of neurostimulation paddle leads was only possible through a laminotomy, a more invasive surgical procedure that typically requires removal of part of the vertebral bone.
- The device is slightly larger than a U.S. silver dollar, neurostimulator’s deliver mild electrical pulses to the spinal cord, which interrupt or mask the pain signals’ transmission to the brain.
- Disc-FX System (by elliquence) – During the second live procedure, Brown demonstrated a minimal access spine system designed to efficiently access the damaged disc without injury to surrounding disc anatomy.
- Permits multiple treatment options compared to other ‘single treatment’ devices in the marketplace.
- Features a patented navigational device called Trigger-Flex, which was specifically designed to help clean the disc and seal tears in the annulus.