6 Tips To Prevent Summer’s Most Common InjuriesJuly 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Posted in Ankle Replacement, Back Pain, Coastal Orthopedics, Hip Fracture, Joint, Orthopedics, Pain Management, Physical Therepy, Sports Medicine | Leave a comment
Tags: common, injuries, summer
Every year from May through August, emergency rooms across the country see about an 18 percent increase in the number of people walking through their doors with fractures, strain injuries, and more.
Whether you’re a weekend warrior, recreational enthusiast, or vacationer, here are a few important tips to help you have a safe and injury-free summer.
- Always wear protective eyewear, gloves, long pants, and closed-toed shoes when operating outdoor power equipment.
- Gardening shouldn’t be “back-breaking”. Bend your knees (not your back) and use your legs when lifting heavy objects.
- Before engaging in summer sport activities, take the time to stretch. This will loosen muscles, joints, and ligaments, as well as help prevent activity-based injuries.
- To prevent overuse injuries, condition and strength train your body so it can become accustomed to increased levels of outdoor activity.
- Consuming water not only keeps our body temperature normal, it also keeps muscles lubricated. When you sweat, your body is depleted of fluids which can cause muscle cramps, so stay hydrated.
- Take frequent breaks during activity – allow your body to rest and restore.